We often hear about the dangers and tragedies of vehicles backing over children, but as a parent you should also be aware of the hazards associated with a car driving forward over a child. Similar to backover accidents, frontover accidents usually occur in driveways or parking lots when the driver is moving slowly and does not see the child in danger before it is too late. Tragically, a parent or close relative is driving in 70 percent of these accidents. Toddlers are at the greatest risk for frontover accidents because they are independently mobile but have no sense of personal safety. They can easily follow a parent into the driveway unseen.
Keep your family safe by remembering to:
- Walk around your entire vehicle before you get in to check for children playing.
- Account for all of your children and any visiting children before you put the car in gear.
- Hold children’s hands when getting out of the vehicle.
- Never leave children unattended around vehicles.
- Never leave keys or remote openers within reach of children.
At The Gilbert Law Group, our attorneys represent accident victims nationwide. If your child has been severely injured in a car accident, please call our experienced car accident attorneys at (303) 431-1111 for your free consultation.