Each year thousands of children suffer serious injuries or are killed because a driver backing up did not see them. Most accidents occur when backing out of the driveway at home or backing out of a parking space.
Victims of backover accidents are usually around one year old, and over 60 percent of accidents involve a larger vehicle, such as a van or SUV, common family vehicles.
Tips for keeping children safe around vehicles and preventing backover injuries include:
- Walk around your vehicle before starting it up to make sure children are clear of the area.
- Make children move to a location where they are in full view of the driver.
- Ensure that children are accounted for and supervised by an adult.
- Install a rearview camera or other backup detection device.
- Keep the driveway clear of toys and sports equipment.
- Teach children that it is never safe to play in and around vehicles.
- Trim your landscaping around the driveway so you always have a clear view of the street and sidewalks surrounding you.
- Never leave children unattended around vehicles. Accidents can happen in a heartbeat.
At The Gilbert Law Group, we are dedicated to representing parents who have lost a child or had a child severely injured in an accident. If your child has suffered severe injuries, please call our experienced child injury lawyers at (303) 431-1111 for your free consultation. Based in Denver, Colorado, we represent clients nationwide.